{"id":1265,"date":"2014-12-28T20:04:02","date_gmt":"2014-12-29T01:04:02","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/?p=1265"},"modified":"2014-12-28T20:04:02","modified_gmt":"2014-12-29T01:04:02","slug":"the-new-hampshire-dept-of-ed-will-stop-bullying-the-manchester-school-districts","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/2014\/12\/28\/the-new-hampshire-dept-of-ed-will-stop-bullying-the-manchester-school-districts\/","title":{"rendered":"The New Hampshire Dept. of Ed. Will STOP BULLYING the Manchester School Districts"},"content":{"rendered":"<p><em>Hopefully, the Department will stop bullying the other school districts as well.\u00a0\u00a0<\/em><br \/><em>The Department never held a single Public Hearing on\u00a0the proposed Smarter Balanced Assessments. It&#8217;s not surprising that many school board members, principals and teachers are opposed to them, including some in Nashua.\u00a0<\/em><br \/>\n<em><a href=\"http:\/\/nhfamiliesforeducation.org\/content\/nashua-school-district-teachers-disapprove-smarter-balanced-assessments\">Read more from NH Families for Education here<\/a><\/em><\/p>\n<p><a href=\"http:\/\/www.unionleader.com\/apps\/pbcs.dll\/article?AID=\/20141228\/NEWS04\/141229461\/-1\/NEWS20\">From the Manchester Union Leader<\/a><\/p>\n<p>Refusing to Administer Smarter Balanced Assessments does NOT Jeopardize State Funding: &#8220;[Manchester] School district to receive millions withheld by state&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>By TED SIEFER<br \/>\nNew Hampshire Union Leader<\/p>\n<p>MANCHESTER &#8211; City officials have prevailed upon the state Department of Education to release millions of dollars in federal funds that they say the agency withheld over the school district&#8217;s efforts to opt out of the Smarter Balanced assessment test.<\/p>\n<p>Manchester Superintendent Debra Livingston said DOE Commissioner Virginia Barry told her, without elaborating, that the funds would be made available.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;I just got a call that the money is being released,&#8221; she said Wednesday. &#8220;That was the extent of the conversation.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Livingston wrote a letter to Barry earlier this month expressing concern that the district had only received $460,000 out of $4.2 million in anticipated federal reimbursements so far this school year.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;The district has received information that the New Hampshire Department of Education (NHDOE) may not be remitting or processing the District&#8217;s grant funds\/applications over concerns about the District&#8217;s anticipated noncompliance with the administration of the Smarter Balanced Assessment,&#8221; Livingston wrote. &#8220;The District is very concerned that failure to timely remit or process such grant funds\/applications could have serious financial consequences for the District and more importantly its students.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>The letter was copied to the governor, top legislative leaders and the state&#8217;s entire Congressional delegation.<\/p>\n<p>Barry did not return several phone calls last week.<\/p>\n<p>Livingston wrote the letter at the urging of Mayor Ted Gatsas and with the full support of the school board.<\/p>\n<p>Gatsas has steadfastly maintained that the state DOE assured him the district would be able to implement its own assessment test as part of a broader effort to develop its own curriculum as an alternative to the Common Core State Standards.<\/p>\n<p>The Smarter Balanced test, set to be administered statewide in the spring as the successor to the NECAP test, is aligned with Common Core.<\/p>\n<p>Common Core has been assailed by conservative activists as an attempt by the federal government to impose unsound and ideological standards on local school districts. A growing number of parents and teachers across the country also have criticized the standards and their implementation.<\/p>\n<p>Gatsas said he would insist on getting &#8220;in writing&#8221; the commitment from the state DOE to release the federal funds to the district.<\/p>\n<p>The decision may weaken one lever of control wielded by the state DOE in the standoff over Smarter Balanced: the roughly $21 million in federal funds the district receives annually to support a wide array of programs aimed at assisting low-income students and struggling schools.<\/p>\n<p>Manchester, the state&#8217;s largest school district, is now poised to be one of only a few to not participate in the Smarter Balanced assessment in the spring.<\/p>\n<p>The move is likely to further exacerbate the rift with state education officials, who have long lamented the district&#8217;s comparatively poor performance on statewide assessments and higher than average dropout rates.<\/p>\n<p>In place of Smarter Balanced, district officials are considering using an assessment test developed by the Northwest Evaluation Association (NWEA), a Portland, Ore.-based company that has provided consulting services to the district in the past.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;The NWEA is very broad-based,&#8221; Livingston said. &#8220;It&#8217;s very similar to Smarter Balanced.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>At the same time, Livingston said should the district go with a NWEA assessment, some adjustments to the newly implemented Manchester Academic Standards would likely be in order. Test scores could suffer as a result, she said, at least the first time the assessment is administered.<\/p>\n<p>In any case, she said, &#8220;Any kind of testing right now is to establish a baseline to see where we&#8217;re at.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>tsiefer@unionleader.com<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Hopefully, the Department will stop bullying the other school districts as well.\u00a0\u00a0The Department never held a single Public Hearing on\u00a0the proposed Smarter Balanced Assessments. It&#8217;s not surprising that many school board members, principals and teachers are opposed to them, including some in Nashua.\u00a0 Read more from NH Families for Education here From the Manchester Union [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":0,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"closed","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"_et_pb_use_builder":"","_et_pb_old_content":"","_et_gb_content_width":"","footnotes":""},"categories":[14],"tags":[350,347,75,349,348],"class_list":["post-1265","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","hentry","category-funding","tag-doe","tag-manchesterunionleader","tag-nh","tag-nhdoe","tag-tedsiefer"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1265","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=1265"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1265\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":1266,"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1265\/revisions\/1266"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=1265"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=1265"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/stopcommoncorenh.org\/sccnh\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=1265"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}